Thursday, March 21, 2013

Eve Online: Welcome to the addiction

Greetings everyone. Today is day 21 of my addiction. My name is Val and I'm an Eve Online Addict.

It's a shame that this game has been out for a decade now, and I'm only now discovering it. Although maybe that's a good thing. I've played many online games before, but typically stay away from the ones that I believe cause my addiction to grab hold. Never played EverQuest, never played WoW, I did play Diablo I, but stayed away from II and III because I don't trust myself.

About a month ago I was browsing through the Playstation Network store and saw a free game called DUST 514. First person shooter that takes place on various planets, and you do stuff like capture strategic points and hold on to them or just all out deathmatch. DUST is still in beta testing, so there were a few bugs here and there but overall I enjoyed the experience.

In DUST, occasionally I witnessed these huge orbital strikes people were organizing and decimating the enemy with. I searched and I searched through the skills, weapons, tools, etc to try and see what I needed to do to try and acquire this awesome skill. After a few days of searching through the marketplace on DUST I gave up and googled it, and come across a video about Eve Online and DUST (two entirely different games) interacting with each other. I was fascinated at the real-time interaction between two video games living in the same universe.  Although I've been playing Eve Online for about 3 weeks now, I still have yet to be skilled enough to perform one of these orbital strikes, but that's ok.

I decided to log onto my computer, download the Eve 14 day trial and find out how a game survives for a decade with so many active members. While the game was downloading I kept thinking to myself "The Graphics are probably going to suck" "There is no way this will be fun for a newbie" "Glad I don't have to pay money to find out if the game will be worth it or not" ...... And wow.

This is the game I've been looking for so long, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. Thousands of solar systems with thousands more planets, moons, space stations, etc. There are so many careers open to a player, and if you ever get tired with one type of career, you simply switch or do two, three, or more careers at once. Some people choose to become proficient at asteroid mining, others like to explore and find ancient ruins and salvage them for money, some people enjoy the politics or economics of trading (like wall street) others like to become the best one on one fighter they can be to try and blow other people up, and there are thousands of missions you can run just to keep yourself busy and make a little money on the side. Those are just a handful of the type of things you can do, with hundreds of other possibilities available.

This game isn't for everyone though. The controls take a few days to understand, exploration if you don't know what you're doing or where you're going can cause you to lose your ship, and there is always someone bigger and badder than you out there that wants what you have, or just wants to see you cry as they blow up your ship. If you get frustrated easily, don't have patience, and blindly trust that people are inherently good and honorable, then this game is not for you.

If you like a challenge, endless possibilities, great graphics, and an open universe with every type of personality you can find in the real world, then this game is for you. I look forward to writing a lot more blogs on my experiences and getting in to more detail on specifics, but a few rules you should know before you go.

1. If you can't afford to lose it, don't buy it.
2. Trust No One
3. Have fun

No comments:

Post a Comment